HomePortalGalleryCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 

Body found of Ohio soldier missing in Iraq

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mr Miyagi

Male Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Body found of Ohio soldier missing in Iraq   Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:51 am

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/30/us.iraq/?iref=hpmostpop

(CNN) -- After nearly four years of hoping, waiting and praying, an Ohio family learned Sunday their missing son died in Iraq.

"It hurts -- it really hurts. You go through four years of hope," said Carolyn Maupin, whose son, Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin, was captured by insurgents in April 2004.

"It's like a letdown to me. I'm trying to get through that right now."

His father, Keith Maupin, said military officials informed the family Sunday afternoon that the remains of the 24-year-old Army reservist had been identified.

"Every parent knows the possibility exists that they may have to face the death of their child when they volunteer to go to war," he said. "However, those who are fortunate make peace with that and support their soldier, because they enlisted at their own free will."

A Defense Department official also confirmed the identification, saying Maupin's remains were found last week but DNA results just came in.

Maupin, who was 20 at the time of his capture, and another soldier, Sgt. Elmer Krause, 40, were captured by insurgents April 9, 2004, after their convoy came under attack near Baghdad International Airport. A week later, Maupin was shown on a videotape, surrounded by several armed masked men.

"My name is Keith Matthew Maupin," he stated in the video. "I am a soldier from the First Division. I am married with a 10-month-old child. I came to liberate Iraq, but I did not come willingly because I wanted to stay with my child."

Krause's body was found two weeks later.

Later that summer, Al-Jazeera aired a videotape purportedly showing the execution of Maupin, but U.S. officials haven't confirmed the identity of the person on the tape.

The U.S. Army continued to promote Maupin, who was a private first class in the Army Reserves at the time of his capture, to sergeant and then staff sergeant as they searched for him.

Three U.S. troops remain missing in the five-year-old Iraq war: Pvt. Byron W. Fouty and Spc. Alex R. Jimenez have been missing since their military convoy was raided west of Mahmoudiya May 12.

Spc. Ahmed K. Altaie disappeared October 23, 2006, and his status was changed to "missing-captured" nearly two months later.

The news about Maupin came Sunday as roadside bombings in northern and western Iraq killed two U.S. troops and attacks on Iraqi police and others left another 19 dead, Iraqi police and U.S. military officials reported.

One roadside bombing killed a U.S. soldier north of Baghdad, and a Marine died in another bombing in the western province of Anbar, the U.S. military headquarters there reported. No details of the attacks were released.

The latest attacks bring the U.S. death toll in the five-year-old war to 4,009.

=====================================================

Pretty damn sad, but it was pretty much expected that he was dead. He's been on the local news here quite often since he was captured, and tonight his parents were on the news and reporting it. Sad It's just really unfair and shitty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rose Blossom
Site Owner

Female Number of posts : 1206
Job/hobbies : Too many
Humor : Heck yeah!
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Body found of Ohio soldier missing in Iraq   Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 am

It sure is sad no matter how expected. Sad

This all started when President Bush declared war against Iraq and specifically Saddam Hussein after the 9-11 attacks. It was after we he declared war against Iraq did the American citizens find out that it was Al Qaeda who was behind 9-11, that President Bush used the 9-11 attacks to get to Saddam Hussein. Now, we have been fighting along with a few allies and everyone has lost too many lives. It just feels like a no win situation and many more lives will be lost before this (these) war(s) end. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tss-forums.forummotion.com
Hook
Silver TSS Member
Silver TSS Member

Male Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Body found of Ohio soldier missing in Iraq   Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:29 pm

Saddam did need to be taken out!
No question there though!
Something else MAY have happened had we not stopped Saddam!
He was deffinitely gearing up for something - not to mention all of the unspeakable things he had done before he was taken out!
Oh, and he DID have weapons of mass destruction - it has been proven!
I just heard about it on CBS radio this past week!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.forumdirectory.freeforums.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Body found of Ohio soldier missing in Iraq   

Back to top Go down

Body found of Ohio soldier missing in Iraq
Page 1 of 1