Something for Everyone!
 
HomePortalGalleryCalendarRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rose Blossom
Site Owner
avatar

Female Number of posts : 1206
Location : Long Island, NY
Job/hobbies : Too many
Humor : Heck yeah!
Registration date : 2008-01-18

PostSubject: If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.   Sun May 11, 2008 1:52 am

If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville, OH

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but ... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and Creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his Creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any
exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above ...

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tss-forums.forummotion.com
Lil' Turtle
TSS Gold Star Moderator & Member
TSS Gold Star Moderator & Member
avatar

Female Number of posts : 882
Age : 47
Location : Texas
Job/hobbies : ANIMALS
Humor : G-Rated
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.   Tue May 13, 2008 10:52 pm

I have known about that but luckily have never seen a case...

_________________


http://tss-forums.forummotion.com/index.htm
Lil' Turtle
~&
Moderator
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Flower
VIP
avatar

Female Number of posts : 458
Location : with the other flowers
Job/hobbies : yes
Humor : uh huh
Registration date : 2008-03-06

PostSubject: Re: If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.   Fri May 16, 2008 2:39 am

I Didn't know....good thing this was posted (thumbs up) so now I know...the thought of endangering my dog....I don't even want to think about it. NuUhhhh sobbing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.yikers.com/forums/
Lil' Turtle
TSS Gold Star Moderator & Member
TSS Gold Star Moderator & Member
avatar

Female Number of posts : 882
Age : 47
Location : Texas
Job/hobbies : ANIMALS
Humor : G-Rated
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.   Fri May 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I did copy and past this article to some family members and friends though... whistling

_________________


http://tss-forums.forummotion.com/index.htm
Lil' Turtle
~&
Moderator
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.   

Back to top Go down
 
If you have a dog ... PLEASE read this and send it on. If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Best Chatbox/Shoutbox IDEAS Must read
» Unviewed Topics become marked as read!
» Can admin read members P.M.S ?
» Mass Mark as Read Buttons
» Allows admins to read private messaging

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TSS -Things, Stuff & Such :: General Discussions :: Did You Know?-
Jump to: